Tuesday, January 30, 2018


(Email us with your questions or for assitance at ddnelson@gmail.com)

If you are an alien (not a U.S. citizen), you are considered a nonresident alien unless you meet one of two tests. You are a resident alien of the United States for tax purposes if you meet either the green card test or the substantial presence test for the calendar year (January 1-December 31).
Certain rules exist for determining the Residency Starting and Ending Dates for aliens.
In some cases aliens are allowed to make elections which override the green card test and the substantial presence test, as follows:
You can be both a nonresident alien and a resident alien during the same tax year. This usually occurs in the year you arrive or depart from the United States. If so, you may elect to be treated as a Dual Status Alien for this taxable year and a Resident Alien for the next taxable year if you meet certain tests. (Refer to section "Dual-Status Aliens" – "First Year Choice" in Publication 519, U.S. Tax Guide for Aliens.)
A resident alien who is required to establish his/her U.S. residency for the purpose of claiming a tax treaty benefit with a foreign country should refer to Certification of U.S. Residency for Tax Treaty Purposes.

We are experts at filing tax returns and tax planning for resident and nonresident aliens. Email us at ddnelson@gmail.com with your questions. We can set up a phone or skype conference to  discuss your situation and put together a US tax plan.

Saturday, January 27, 2018

Chose the Right Tax Free State to Locate can Reduce your Taxes Greatly

As a US Nonresident  when you decide where to locate your US business or to live temporarily in the United States, the state you chose to locate your business or live can save you substantial amounts of income taxes. Some states charge taxes up to 13% of your taxable income.  Others have no income taxes. Remember the US state income tax is paid on top of the US Federal taxes which can run up to 33 percent of your taxable income (21 percent for corporations).

The 6 best states to locate to avoid state income taxes include:

  • Nevada
  • Texas
  • Florida
  • Washington
  • South Dakota
  • Wyoming
We can help you chose the best state to in which to locate your business. We can  file for your corporation or LLC in the best tax free state. We are experts in US tax filing requirements for nonresidents and businessmen from other countries who want to locate a business in the USA. Email us at ddnelson@gmail.com to set up a consultation and learn more.

We offer Certified Public Accountant and Attorney services  associated firms  which results in lower fees to you and more efficient service.  Don D. Nelson, Attorney at Law and Kyle Lodder CPA